Gabe Larsen, V.P. of InsideSales Labs, joins me on this episode of #Accelerate!
- Gabe says the single biggest challenge facing sales reps today is getting more and better leads.
- InsideSales recently researched the sales cadence. A sales cadence is a sequence of activities to increase contact and qualification. Great cadences allow you to educate and qualify leads.
- In researching the cadence survey, InsideSales asked sales reps and leaders to self-report activity. They also ran external audits on invented leads. Self-reporting showed the reps doing better than the actual audits showed.
- Reps believe social selling improves their results. Gabe looks at data. InsideSales looked at 10 million sales opportunities and at what happened at the end of the quarter. A lot of potential money was left on the table.
- There are five keys to a cadence: attempts (touches), media (channel), duration of the message, spacing (gap), and content (message). The average number of attempts per lead is four. 40% of leads received no follow up, at all.
- Data shows U.S. reps are sending more email messages than European reps. There is a movement to an account-based outbound model, and the inbound leads are being somewhat neglected.
- Some reps are leaving leads alone that they think have little potential for a sale. The desire to hit activity metrics is having an impact on actual selling. If a customer says they want to be contacted, then contact them now.
- The most common follow up is a single email. This is not the most effective way to follow up. Email should be used to set up a conversation between two people.
- Every day that passes after a lead comes in degrades the prospect’s top-of-mind awareness. If you wait five days before contacting the prospect, you will likely lose them.
- Is there an optimal cadence? If there is, reps aren’t using it. The tool doesn’t set the cadence or fix a problem. A person using a tool solves a problem. Find a balance between activities and results.
- Personalization always trumps automation. Andy says humanization trumps personalization. Let technology augment the sales rep, without replacing the rep. Testing is essential.
- Do we need to restructure marketing? We need to think about acquisition and retention. Gabe talks about internal changes at InsideSales Labs.
For Vice Presidents of Sales of high-growth companies based on a recurring revenue model — Andy is teaming up with his friend Jacco van der Kooij, founder of Winning by Design and author of Blueprints of a SaaS Sales Organization, to launch the Sales Leadership Accelerator Mastermind, an intensive 12-month learning, coaching, and mastermind program for the Vice Presidents of Sales of high-growth companies. If the responsibility sits on your shoulders to scale your revenue team, to hit the $100 million mark ARR and beyond, then the Sales Leadership Accelerator Mastermind will help you transform how you sell, scale, and develop the capabilities of your team to crush your goals. Enrollment is limited to a very small group, so go to SaaSSLAM.com now, to learn more and enroll today.